This is Rumor Control. Here are the facts. Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War is currently filming in Atlanta, and is shaping up to be the comic book film to top all comic book films. Fans will finally get to see galactic tyrant Thanos (Josh Brolin) go toe-to-toe with every hero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with the fate of the universe up for grabs. The villanous despot has made small appearances in The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy but is set to take center stage in this film, with directors Joe and Anthony Russo (Captain America: Civil War, Captain America: The Winter Soldier) referring to Thanos as “the main character of the film [so to speak].”
In a recent interview with THR, motion caption actor Terry Notary (who’s done work on Kong: Skull Island, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Warcraft, The Hobbit trilogy, and Avatar) revealed that he would playing a pretty big role in this film, potentially revealing the presence of some secondary villains, saying:
“I’m working on four characters right now. I’m working with Josh Brolin and three other actors [in Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War], and I’m playing Josh Brolin’s right hand bad guy in the film.”
Traditionally, Thanos did not have many who followed him that could be considered a “right-hand man.” Like Apocalypse and his Horsemen, Thanos has his own group of loyal servants which he calls the Black Order (also known as the Cull Obsidian), a group of ruthless aliens who help Thanos into razing worlds where they demand tribute.
Here are the character breakdowns via Wikipedia:
- Black Dwarf – A member of the Black Order who has super-strength, enhanced density, and impenetrable skin.
- Corvus Glaive – Black Dwarf’s brother and Thanos’ most favored general who has enhanced strength, speed, durability, and endurance and uses a bladed pike which can cut through anything, which also makes him immortal while he’s holding it.
- Ebony Maw – A member of the Black Order who has genius-level intellect, specializes in persuasion. Utilizes a teleportation device and force field generator.
- Proxima Midnight – Corvus Glaive’s wife who is a master hand-to-hand combatant, has super-strength and is nigh impervious. Her lance transforms into unavoidable toxic light beams.
- Supergiant – A member of the Black Order with telepathic abilities.
From those, it can be surmised Notary is more than likely portraying Corvus Glaive, with the other three actors portraying the other members of the group. While they are a recent addition to Thanos’ history publishing wise, in-story they have served him for years. That plus their uniqueness will help flesh out Thanos by giving him his own supporting cast so to speak.
Avengers: Infinity War is set to premiere May 4, 2018.